Jan 6, 1949 – Present
Jonathan Ott is a prolific and highly regarded writer, translator, publisher, reviewer and pundit on virtually every aspect of entheogen botany, chemistry, pharmacology, bioassay, culture, and history. The term entheogen itself is most closely attributed to him; he was one of the people who helped coin it, and its propogation as a meme is due in large part to its use in his books.
In addition to his abundance with the written word, Ott has produced and co-produced numerous conferences and seminars on entheogens over the past 25+ years. Ott was the translator of Albert Hofmann’s 1979 LSD–Mein Sorgenkind (first published in 1980 as LSD: My Problem Child by the McGraw-Hill Book Company), and produced an English translation of On Aztec Botanical Names by Blas Pablo Reko. He did the technical notes for the English translation of Baron Ernst von Bibra’s 1855 German book Die Narkotischen Genussmittel und der Mensch (published in 1995 as Plant Intoxicants: A Classic Text on the Use of Mind-Altering Plants by Healing Arts Press). Several of his own books have been translated into German and Castilian (Ott prefers “Castilian” as a more precise word than “Spanish”). Articles and excerpts of his books have been translated into numerous other languages. His writing has appeared in Harvard Botanical Museum Leaflets, Curare, Eleusis, The Entheogen Law Reporter, The Entheogen Review, Head, High Times, Integration, Lloydia, the Journal of Cognitive Liberties, the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs, the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, the MAPS Bulletin, The Sacred Mushroom Seaker (Ed. T.J. Riedlinger), and other publications. He is co-editor — with Giorgio Samorini — of the bilingual publication Eleusis: Journal of Psychoactive Plants & Compounds.
Jonathan Ott is arguably one of the most devoted heads – or “pharmacophiles” in the Ott family of words — in the world. The Proemium from his volume Pharmacotheon: Entheogenic drugs, their plant sources and history presents one of the most comprehensive and readable treatises on drug policy reform to date.
Author of (Books)
- Coca und Kokain: Ethnobotanik, Kunst und Chemie; with co-author Christian Rätsch, a German translation of Just Say Blow makes up Ott’s contribution (2003)
- Ometochtzin: Las Muertes de Dos Conejo; privately published, limited edition (2001)
- Just Say Blow. Coca and Cocaine: A Scientific Blowjob; unpublished (2001)
- Shamanic Snuffs or Entheogenic Errhines (2001)
- Pharmacophilia: The Natural Paradise (1997)
- Age of Entheogens & the Angels’ Dictionary (1995)
- Ayahuasca Analogues: Pangaean Entheogens (1995)
- Pharmacotheon: Entheogenic drugs, their plant sources and history (1993)
- Persephone’s Quest: Entheogens and the Origins of Religion (1986)
- The Cacahuatl Eater: Ruminations of an Unabashed Chocolate Addict (1985)
- Teonanacatl: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms of North America (Co-edited by J. Bigwood, 1978)
- Hallucinogenic Plants of North America (1976)
- Hallucinogens: A Comprehensive Guide for Laymen and Professionals; with co-authors Joe E. Axton and Jeremy Bigwood (1975)
Author of (Articles)
- The Delphic Bee: Bees and toxic honeys as pointers to psychoactive and other medicinal plants — Economic Botany 52(3):260-266. 1998.
- Pharmahuasca: On Phenethylamines and Potentiation
- Proemium (excerpted from Pharmacotheon)
- DMT Snuffs – Cohoba, Yopo and Vilva (excerpted from Pharmacotheon)
- LSd and Ololiuhqui: Postscriptum: The Secret of the Eleusinian Mysteries Revealed (excerpted from Pharmacotheon)
- Idiosyncracy and Pharmacophilia (excerpted from Pharmacophilia)
- Phytomphalos (excerpted from Pharmacophilia)
- Pharmanopo-Psychonautics: Human Intranasal, Sublingual, Intrarectal, Pulmonary and Oral Pharmacology of Bufotenine (2001)
- Craving Cocaddiction or Craven Cocabhorrence (2001)
Writings & Info
- Terence McKenna Public Lecture Transcripts (Dec 2011)
- Terence McKenna Bibliography (best on the web, 2000-2011)
- The Non-Ordinary Conhibition Rhetoric of Terence McKenna (Feb 1995)
- Words with the Sham Man (Jul 1994)
- Annotated Bibliography of Books, Audio, and Video (Mar 1994)
- A Psychedelic Trip up the Ladder of Evolution (Jul 1993)
- “Food of the Gods” Review by Richard Evans Schultes (Sep/Oct 1993)
- Annotated Bibliography of Magazine Articles (Oct 1993)
- Interview with Jonathan Ott, by Jörg Auf dem Hövel and Achim Zubke (2000)
- Jonathan Ott Speaks (part 1): Interview by Jon Hanna and Will Beifuss (Entheogen Review, 1998)
- Jonathan Ott Speaks (part 2): Interview by Jon Hanna and Will Beifuss (Entheogen Review, 1998)
To be added.